Blogging network: Froyd.net Spin-1/2

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wake up, it's not over yet.

Welcome to Wednesday everyone.  The clues are out but no correct answers yet. 

I had an epic idea last night that I failed to follow through on.  I was going to make a music video blog post for today but instead I learned a few things about the electrical wiring in my house.  Maybe for tomorrow?

Back to the internet!  Wait...we're on the internet...already.  Welcome back!  Aha!  I'm a little more out of it this morning than usual.  All the clocks in my living room stopped and I didn't know it had grown rather late last night.  Lack of sleep is a confusing thing.

One of the things that ruined me early on with the internet was that I grew up a big science fiction fan.  The things that people imagined for the internet back in the day were so promising and exciting.  It was a world of secret identities, epic adventure in the digital seas and a place where you could achieve greatness without leaving your room.  It was supposed to be a different reality that one could slip into and disappear from their own.  

Before the internet the big time geeks that were playing around with networks and hacking all went by code names.  They had separate digital identities and the concept was very appealing to me when the internet finally reached me.  I was the great Cokevampire, occasionally Ventola but never just plain old me.  That was boring.  The internet was a new world and as such I needed a new identity for it.  

This is one reason I am so frustrated by the current state of the internet as a whole these days.  It has become an extension of our regular reality.  There is no veil, no curtain, nothing to separate the two.  People who grew up with the internet don't view it as a playground but rather they treat it like we treated the telephone back in the day.  It's a communication device, a place to order pizza and there's no mystery to it all.  It's always on, always available in our pockets.  I miss the days of the dial-up modem where establishing a connection to the internet was like gaining clearance to an alternate reality.  You were tapping into the internet in those days but now we are just drowning in it.  

Clue #3:

Corn and Oats...corn and oats.

No comments: