Blogging network: Froyd.net Spin-1/2

Friday, February 1, 2013

Morning.

Roller Derby.  Yes, it's coming back for the spring season and it's going to be interesting.  They made waves this winter by doing a pretty big tweak to the rules which I feel good about.  In the previous rule set, a skater could get a minor penalty for various little infractions which didn't do much to affect the game other than keep skaters a little more civil.  Now they've done away with those minor penalties and simplified things to hopefully make the matches run smoother.  

If you haven't checked out roller derby, I hope you will.  It's a good time, an interesting sport and just plain fun.  I could go on and on about how it's an all volunteer organization.  I could go on about how it's a way for a city to support a sport that isn't filled with scandals and over-paid crybabies.  That's a post for another day I think.  

Today let me just say that it's a sport where people get hit a lot and have lots of bad-ass attitude while doing it.  Sure you won't understand the rules...that's fine.  I've been a volunteer for two years now and I'm just starting to figure out the finer points of the game.  Go to YouTube and watch some instructional videos if you want to learn the rules or just go to a match.  By the end of the match you'll be picking out points and recognizing penalties.  There's always a neat, well designed, handsomely managed scoreboard to show you the score anyway.  (That's my department.)  

So yeah.  My plug for derby.  Do it.  Go.  Find a match out there and just go.  If you live in a bigger city they most likely serve beer at the match.  Neat.  If you live in a smaller city...well...just pre-game it at home and catch a cab.  (Don't drink and drive...)  

Well...now I'm ranting.  Your mission....should you choose to accept it.  Find me a picture of action figures battling on top of a computer tower like it was a skyscraper.  Bonus points if there's a helicopter involved...double bonus points if there's a wookie.

Chewbacca...what a wookie.  (Reference?)


1 comment:

Froyd said...

The wookie song was from Clerks, I thought. Maybe I'm incorrect. Also, I haven't had time to find my action figures.

Also, stop telling me what to do.