Blogging network: Froyd.net Spin-1/2

Friday, March 1, 2013

Avians attack!

In a burst of inspiration last night I got the bare bones of the avian theme done.  I'm very excited because I had been lagging badly trying to get another theme done after the first ones were made so quickly.  Bolstered by my progress I decided to jump right into the arachnid theme but that didn't go as well.  

I think it's fantastic to be able to have the technology to have an orchestra at my command.  I want a trumpet part, I get a trumpet part.  It's amazing.  However, there are certain sounds and instruments that the software just doesn't do very well.  This becomes frustrating when you are working with a few instruments that sound amazing then you go to throw in a third and it sounds wrong.  It really takes the wind out of your sails when the sounds coming out don't match what you have in your head, you have to stop and decide what instrumentation to use instead that sounds more realistic.  

It's this kind of speed bump that really puts a damper on my creative process.  I have terrible sense of pitch which makes writing without the computer difficult.  I spent a bit writing down the bones of the arachnid theme the other day on paper.  I thought I was pretty close to what was in my head but when I punched it into the computer it sounded terrible.  Combine that with instrumentation that doesn't match what you want to hear and you have a pretty disheartening result.  

I won't be giving up though.  Not a chance.  It's worth it when things do mesh up right and after just a little work you have this music pouring out at you that you created.  When the trumpets and the strings sound just right and are playing the perfect notes it's amazing.  I'm not that good of a composer, my theory is terrible but there is something amazing about hearing your own work being "played".  Even more than the electronica than I write, the classical soundtrack work is by far the music I enjoy listening to the most.

Oooh.  Fun.  Hold on one sec...okay.  This is just a promo-video I made for a failed TV show but I wrote this theme in no time.  It just came out and I liked it.  Give a listen:


That's it for the week.  Congrats to Froyd for the win this week and next week I promise a better quiz!

No comments: